Using BNC with Xaira
- Installing BNC XML Edition and Xaira
- Using Xaira with BNC XML Edition: Sample searches introducing Xaira and BNC XML Edition
- Using BNC XML for English language study: examples of how to use the corpus and Xaira
- BNC-Baby with Xaira: Examples of how to use Xaira for specific tasks.
- Xaira Reference Guide
- Xaira webpage
- Common Problems section (under revision)
The BNC is a corpus - a collection of texts - not a software tool. You can use many different software tools to process the BNC, for example to search through it for particular words or expression, to display parts of it, or to analyse specific linguistic features they contain. A general purpose tool called XAIRA performs many of these functions, but you are free to use whatever software tools you like with the BNC.
XAIRA (XML Aware Indexing and Retrieval Architecture) is a general purpose XML search engine developed specifically for access to the BNC and similar language corpora. XAIRA can be used with any well-formed XML corpus, but takes full advantage of the detailed XML markup in the BNC. It is provided free of charge along with the BNC XML Edition, BNC Baby, and BNC Sampler corpora. You can download the latest version of XAIRA from SourceForge.net and more information about the software can be found on the XAIRA webpage. Please note that OUCS does not support Xaira.